Wednesday 22 October 2008

Affection.

... because sometimes you just need to feel needed.




Approximately 2 hours ago, I was feeling very "oomph" to play the piano.



So I did. =)



Went to the Swanston Trinity building and played for an hour or so.



Conclusion:






I.

WANT.


BABY.



GRAND.





AT.






HOME.








The keys on the Trinity piano are so, so, so, so SOFT!!


Okay, fine, this isn't the first time I've complained about it. But yeah. But it's only when things aren't there that you start fully appreciating them. Like, the baby grand was just right outside my room. And most of the time I didn't even take a second look at it. Just, you know, took it for granted, because it was always there.


That happens with a lot of things.



Hmmm.



*moment of reflection*




Anyway. Today in History of Ideas tutorial, we were talking about post modernism. And we got diverted off the topic a lot, for some reason. Not completely off, but not completely on it either. If only I could remember what we were talking about.... It was a fun class, though. Oh, I think one of the things we talked about was language. Yes, that was it.

So. Language.


It never really occurred to me that you could give anything a .. well, sound, and call it that. Like, you could call a table a chair. And a watch a piano. For example. And as long as enough people use it, as long as enough people learnt it, it'd be a language. If it had proper structure, of course. I mean, it's kind of obvious, when Janusz (HOI tutor) said it, but it got me thinking, because I guess I never thought about it before. And how he was asking whether language changes our view of reality. Like, for some people, using a different language allows them to be a different person, sort of. Allows them to express themselves more freely than in their mother tongue.

I think it's quite true. It's exactly like going to a new place, a new country, a new city, a new neighbourhood, wherever, whatever. It's something like, you get to re-create yourself, you get a new chance, a new life. Somewhat. In some circumstances. But yeah, it's pretty cool that way.

Which got me to thinking... Well, it's been a while coming, but you know what?









I want to learn French.


I really, really, really want to learn French. I think it's cool. =)


Ooh, and Japanese too.


But maybe I should stick to improving my Mandarin first. =(





Oh well.









Like you said, let's rewrite an ending that actually fits.
Heads I win, tails you lose.

No comments: