Friday 6 February 2009

Honesty.

... because to be frank, how else can it work?



Warning: This post contains nonsensical thoughts. Do not read any further unless you are suffering from extreme boredom. Even then.. proceed with caution. Seriously.



You know something? I think it's quite difficult to come up with new stories. I mean, like, a lot of stories are based on real things. A lot of story books are based on ancient legends, prophecies, just stories that have been passed down by word of mouth or stories that have been recorded in some form of writing too old for us to have seen.

I've been reading quite a bit these holidays (soon I won't have the luxury of being to free to lounge around reading *sigh*), and yeah, there are always like elements that are similar to those in other books and stuff. Or in legends, mythology, stuff like that. There's always like, a true account, a true historical background. The characters may have a different name, some may be made up, the environment may have changed, but there is always some element of previous work in it. I mean (okay I don't really know what I'm trying to say anymore, BUT ANYWAY), it's hard to come up with something totally new, you know? I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's easier to modify, to piece together, to ... innovate. Yes. It's easier to innovate than to invent. Because the foundation is already there.

So anyway. I kind of realised that in the stories I've been writing. I mean, it starts out with a line, just a sentence or anything, that's suddenly popped into my mind and I think, "Okay, that will make a good story", as the characters and all start to form. But as I write (I NEVER write drafts or anything, not even for serious essays - I just can't), somehow, I just put in things I've experienced, or am experiencing, into the story. It really is unintentional, and sometimes I don't even realise it till I'm done with the story and I read it over. Some things are exaggerated, some things understated, some things made up, some things not mentioned.. you get my point, right?

So the thing is. Coming up with something like, completely new, totally your own, is really hard. I think I can safely say that everything I've written so far is pieced together here and there from different stories. Of course with elements I've come up with myself in it, and in my style of writing. So not CREATED, just.. renewed.


Haha. Okay I have no idea what I'm on to.


Scratch all that.







Don't think too much. That's what you said, right? Don't think too much.
It has been too long.

No comments: