Tuesday 3 February 2009

Choice.

... because it makes all the difference.






I watch as the column of ants slowly make their way back to their turf. They're so tiny, I remember myself thinking. All it takes is one careless sweep, and they cease to exist.

And yet.. there is a beauty in that insignificant column of ants, one that I cannot explain. My gaze does not waver, my attention does not shift from the small, black bodies carried around by six scurrying legs each. I watch, fascinated, as they stop before a fist sized rock. So easy, it is so easy to squash them all, to wipe out their pitiful lives. I lift up the rock. It is not even heavy to my seemingly gigantic hand. Trustingly, naively, the ants continue to march forward as soon as their obstacle is removed. Ironically, that is what makes me decide to leave them be. I am spellbound. I watch them tramp, in their neat column, across the garden patch. I cannot explain why, but it is hypnotic. Ants... such interesting creatures.

A suppressed peal of laughter makes my head snap up sharply.

Ah. My friends are laughing at me. They have been standing at a distance watching me watch the ants for goodness knows how long. I glance at the ants one last time, they are now making their way into the anthill. With a smile, I look up again, and I join my friends.

The memory faded, blending into reality. I am sitting beside a pond, looking into its clear waters. Scores of tiny, baby fishes, but a few days old, wriggle around the edges of the pond. I watch as they try to escape becoming food to the bigger fish in the pond. At first I am indignant. But then I realise, it is but one of the natural cycles in life. It still disturbs me, and I am pleased when I see most of the baby fishes swim to a corner none of the big fish can reach.

Another memory intrudes upon my thoughts. I welcome this memory. It is him. He asks me what I am thinking of.

I told him how I used to watch the ants alone, and I thought of that while watching the fishes.

He asks if there is anything else I would rather do.

I answer, I would rather sit here and watch baby fishes with you. I mean, I don't care what we do. As long as I'm with you.



TheEnd
-Caitlin K.-









More than just a crush.

No comments: