Wednesday 4 June 2008

So not emo. =)

Exams in two weeks!


TWO WEEKS!


Subjects to study for :-

Chemistry. More or less the whole form 4 & 5 syllabus, plus a lot of extra information they never taught us in high school. Like, enough to fit in that ridiculously thick SPM revision book, a lot.
Mathematics. Same case as Chemistry. All the old stuff and a whole lot of new stuff to boot.
Psychology. A lesser (and definitely more fun) version of Biology. 8 chapters. Still have to memorise a load of names and important experiments.
Environment & Development. No idea what to study for this. Two exams. One open book essay. Another written exam.
English for Academic Purposes. All the bibliography and referencing crap. Crap.


Hmmm. Doesn't look like so much when I write it all down like that. Maybe because those are just the exams. Now, add in the assignments..


29th May - Hand in Environment and Development End Child Slavery Campaign report.
30th May - Hand in 1200 words History of Ideas essay.
12th June - Hand in 1000 words Environment and Development creative essay.
23rd June - Hand in 1500 words Literature essay.


Add in the time we need to do research to actually DO the essays..

And the time we need to use to finish doing all those maths tutorial worksheets they give every week..

And the time we need to do laundry, cook, and everything else..

And hey presto!

No time to study.

Not good. Really not good.

Actually there is time. Really, there is. It's just a bit, you know. Tiring. But it's okay. I can cope.

I was supposed to wake up at 8.30 a.m. today (Chemistry practical is once a fortnight, so yay.) and cook, then do some Maths work. I woke up at 9.30 a.m., cooked, washed up all the stuff, took a bath, and didn't have time to do Maths because I had class at 1.45 p.m.

It's funny.. one of my friends today was saying that she found it difficult to cope. I was surprised, because she's taking the normal three electives. Maybe it's because she didn't take Add Maths in high school, so she's finding the Maths a bit difficult. And apparently the Economics and Accounts they teach here is different from what they learnt in Malaysia. But then, even though I did take Add Maths, it's not like I was ever any good at it. But I guess I still absorbed SOME things. At least. I can't say anything about Accounts and Economics, because I didn't take those in high school, and I'm certainly not taking them now. But could it be more difficult than Chemistry? I mean, I'm not saying Chemistry is more difficult. I think it's about the same difficulty. Just like there are bits in Chemistry that are hard to understand, I'm sure there are bits in Economics and Accounts that are hard to understand. But you know what? People DO get through it. Wherever you go, whether it's in Malaysia or whether it's here in Australia, you still have to do it. Nobody ever said life was easy. If it was, then everybody could do it. And if everybody could do it, then well.. you'd just have to reach higher, and it's bound to get difficult when you reach a certain stage. So why back out? Why not just keep trying? Why give up before you try?

During subject selection (months ago), I was dead set on taking an extra elective. I figured, why not, you know? No harm having some extra knowledge. I figured it wasn't a waste of time, because well, if knowledge is a waste of time, then everything else is as well. So when it was my turn, I sat down and I told the teacher (I didn't know who it was at that time, but later I found out-it was Felicity.) that I wanted to take 4 electives, instead of the usual 3. She looked at my forecast results on the sheet of paper and she looked up at me and said "If I saw straight A1s all the way down, I'd say go ahead, take four electives, you can handle it". I didn't have straight A1s. There were a smattering of As, a couple of Bs and a few Cs. Not good enough for her. She told me straight off that I wouldn't be able to cope, that I would be stretching myself too thin. She told me I would need all the time I could get to do well for even three electives. She said to me, "I PROMISE you that you are going to drop the extra subject by the end of the first term, because you will find it too much to cope with". Well, Felicity, it's almost the end of term 2, and I haven't dropped it yet. And I don't feel all that unable to cope. I didn't have to give up much. All I had to do was not spend so much time lazing around, not spend too much time on the computer. I still have time to blog, I still have time to be part of the student committee, I still have time to be part of the Oaktree foundation, I still have time for exercise, I still have time to study, I still have time to finish all my assignments, I still have time to cook, do laundry, and I still find time to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night, and I wake up at 7 a.m. on almost all weekdays. AND I still HAVE FUN. I am coping, and this is proof for you. I know it's only the end of term 2, and it hasn't gotten all that hard yet. But you know what? I've survived this long, and I'm NOT GIVING UP. Felicity, you told me that a lot of people start the year with four subjects, but about 1 in every few hundred students end the year with four subjects.. and I'm going to do everything I can to be that 1 in a few hundred. You promised me I would drop the subject by the end of term 1.. but you were wrong. I've proved you wrong. And I'll do it again.

Oooh. Totally got caught up in that whole subject selection thing. Sorry. I was REALLY pissed off at her for talking to me like that. Saying that I was incapable and all. Ugh, it just gets me so worked up. How can she say that?? Grrr..

Okay, I'm calm.

Heh. =P

Now I've got to get back to my E & D essay. Toodles.


*wink*

















You're just jealous.

No comments: