Saturday 11 August 2007

An essay..

I have this peculiar tendency of taking supposedly factual topics and turning them into fictional stories. I don't know why. Although I do find it very satisfying, I still can't figure out WHY I do it. Hmmm. Food for thought. Anyway. Here it goes !



THE BIGGEST THREAT TO THE ENVIRONMENT IS MAN
.
.
"Mummy, mummy, mummy!" I stumbled as I ran crying towards Mother.
.
Mother gazed at me with her large, greenish eyes. They looked sad, as if there was a great pain within her. Her tender gaze made me cry harder as I stumbled to her on all fours. The concrete floor felt cold to my feet.
.
I buried my head in her soft belly. She stroked my head. She understood. I felt a little comforted. I raised my head. Hot tears welled up in my eyes. Mother wiped them with a paw. My sister, Nala peeked out from behind Mother. She walked towards me and rubbed herself against my body. We lay side by side in front of Mother, and she told us the story of her life.
.
"Listen, oh my children, for you are the son and daughter of a King," Mother said as she began her tale.
.
Many years ago, I was young. I remember the vast plains, the fresh grass, the dry Savannah, the scorching Sun, the cool night, the wild forest, the homely cave. I remember the frolicking, I remember the desperate hunt for food, I remember the cold rain and the beautiful morning dew. I remember gazing up at the heavens, I remember the wonderful lights in the sky that appeared only on the darkest of nights, I remember the music, the sweet music of the wilderness.
.
The playful days I spent frolicking around with my kindred, the cold nights when I huddled with them for comfort... I will always remember. When we came of age, my brothers left to find mates, and to start their own prides. I, I watched many, all fighting to be my mate. At last, one, the one I had set my sights on, triumphed over all the rest. We took our place in the pride, and we made sweet love. For a time, we were happy.
.
Mufasa (your Father, children) was a good King. He governed his lands and his pride well. He was always fair and just. He often roamed out alone to watch his people, to survey his lands. For many a year, peace reigned.
.
On a dry afternoon one day, Mufasa came back to the cave where I lay, pregnant. He was grievously wounded. I snarled as I saw a rounded metal thing embedded in his shoulder, and blood on his paws and chest. With the last of his energy, he told me that something was destroying our forest. Some monster. He charged me to round up the pride and lead them to safety, beyond the reaches of this monster. He reminded me that he would linger on in my heart, and that I must be strong. With a great shuddering breath, he closed his eyes... forever.
.
I left the cave, my heart miserable with sorrow and my world torn asunder. I did as he charged me to, and fell back as the pride ran to safety. I was weak. Blundering around, I stepped on something sharp. That thing, whatever it was, snapped. It was like... teeth that cut into my flesh, teeth that would not let go. I howled in pain. That thing would not allow me to move. I felt something pierce my neck. Then... blackness.
.
When I awoke, I no longer knew where I was. I had never been in such an enclosed space before. The ground, I had never in my life seen such ground. It was not grass, or any kind of sand. I felt drowsy. I turned my head. Beyond some kind of sticks that held me in wherever I was, I could see my home. Or, what was left of my home. The plains where I had frolicked in as a child was littered with many strange things that did not belong to the wilderness. The forest... the trees that had once sheltered me, they were nothing but stumps now. The water... the glorious, rushing, sparkling water I used to play in, where was it now?? There... there... but it was not as I remembered it. No longer was it clear and sparkling. It was... dark... and ugly. I could look at the destruction of my home no more. I turned aside and wept.
.
I cried for my mate, I cried for my pride, I cried for the fate of my home, I cried for my unborn children. I cried myself to sleep.
.
It has been many years since then. I have loved, lived and had it all taken away. I feel sorrow for you, my children, who will never experience for yourselves the memories of my childhood which I have shared with you.
.
.
***
.
.
Mother's huge eyes misted over as she ended her tale. I felt Nala shivering against me. Unashamedly, I let my tears fall freely.
.
" But who would do this to us, Mother, who would cause so much destruction?" I cried out.
.
Mother looked at me full in the eyes and shivered, even though no wind stirred. "My son..... they call themselves... Man. "
.
.

No comments: