Sunday 8 June 2008

Of Getting Lost and Not Knowing Where To Go.

I went to the rink today.


Left the apartment at noon.


Took a tram to Melbourne Central, the took the Pakenham line to Oakleigh. So far so good.


Reached Oakleigh after a bit more than 30 minutes. Did not know where to go. Followed crowd of people who seemed to know where they were going.


Saw bus signs. Checked instructions on how to get there (Take Route 733 to Box Hill and tell bus driver to stop at the bus stop in front of Centre Rd, Olympic Ice Rink). Spent 10 minutes wondering which side of the road bus was supposed to be on.


Found out that I was supposed to cross the road.


Crossed road.


Time was approximately 1.20 p.m. Checked bus schedule. Next bus at 1.50 p.m. Too late. Ice-skating session starts at 2 p.m.


Decided to take taxi. Taxi driver did not know where Olympic Ice Rink was. Told taxi driver to drop me at 1081 Centre Rd, South Oakleigh. Address of Olympic Ice Rink is 1080 Centre Rd, South Oakleigh.


Could not find 1080. Found everything BUT 1080.


Proof:








Sent message to Da Wei, Cherish and Jiah Lit. Jiah Lit called, asked me where I was. Tried explaining, he still had no idea where I was. Told him that I could only find 1079 and 1081, but not 1080. Told me to look for the even numbers. Ergo: GO TO THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROAD.


Went to opposite side of road. Did not know whether to walk upwards or downwards. Walked downwards first, just in case. Address: 978.


Walked all the way back up.


FINALLY:




Might as well have waited for the bus. Was late anyway. Reached rink at 2.08 p.m.








Only one good thing came out of the whole losing-my-way thing. I'll NEVER lose my way to the rink, ever again. Will commit the bus schedule to memory and not waste time waiting for bus ever again.


The rink is best described as LONG. Olympic length, definitely. Olympic width.. I don't think so.


Anyway. I'm happy. I can still do all my jumps (double toe-loop and double loop not counted, I never really got those jumps right in the first place), and all my spins. So it's all good. =) Surprisingly, my flying camel spin and flying sit spin are better than what it used to be. And that's saying something, since I haven't skated in MONTHS. I think it's the quality of the ice. It must be. =)


THANK YOU to Jiah Lit and Cherish for helping me with the directions and everything. =)
















Doomed to fail from the start.

No comments: